Tuesday 25 May 2010

One week update

At last, I have figures for a full week of generation by my solar array and it's been very heartening. The first two days were overcast so only five or six units were generated each day. For the rest of the week, however, we had glorious May sunshine and the daily haul jumped to a high of nearly 21 units. Here are the results:

Day 1: 4.9

Day 2: 6.6

Day 3: 18.2

Day 4: 20.8

Day 5: 17.1

Day 6: 20.2

Day 7: 17.5

If I add on the 4.2 units generated on the first evening it was switched on, this gives a total of 110.3 units for the week. The average generation per day was 13.7 units which is exactly double the 6.85 units I want for across the whole year. With the peak of the summer still to come, I'm hoping this keeps up. Once these units are converted to cash under the FiT scheme, the proceeds should be £45. An excellent result.

As the week progressed, the family began to take almost as much interest in the system's performance as me. My wife even phoned me at work to let me know how it was progressing. My son recorded the highest output power of the week at 3,398 watts. I'm very pleasantly surprised by this since the array is rated at 3,500 watts and it shows the necessity of installing an inverter that can handle all the power the panels can deliver. 

For most of these sunny days, the house runs entirely off solar electricity. Therefore, the number of units I have to buy daily have reduced from a typical 25 units daily to only 15, saving me a further £1 a day.

Meanwhile, Installation Company has sent me a certificate as part of the Microgeneration Certification Scheme which I will pass onto EDF to register for FiT payments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment