My prediction of yesterday didn't quite come off. There aren't yet any panels on the roof but there is a stack of them in the house and all the supporting rails are installed. I'm a very happy bunny.
One of the interesting aspects of this project has been the way its details have changed. This isn't a problem as I'm pretty flexible as long as my overall desire for the project comes off. To recap, Installation Company had originally intended to use Topsola 175 watt panels with a Sunny Boy inverter. Then it was going to take a while to get these items so we went for Sharp panels and a Diehl inverter. However, as it has transpired, by the time the installation came around, Installation Company had stocks of the original panels and the original type of inverter will be delivered tomorrow.
Today, the installers concentrated on the supports for the panels on the roof. They reported that they found the tiles quite tight and difficult to lift. They overcame this while the Sun beat down and, as seen in the photo, a set of four rails are in place to accept the panels tomorrow.
Another change was in the placement of the inverter. We started with the idea of having it under the stairs. Then it was going into the loft with some way of remotely metering it. This was to keep the cable run short - something the installers often do to reduce power losses. Then it was going into a cupboard in an upstairs bedroom for ease of access. Today, it returned to the cupboard under that stairs. Part of the rationale for this was due to the wall there. It used to be an outside wall and thus has a cavity. It was easy for the installers to make a relatively straight run of cable down that cavity. Since I take all my other meter readings in that cupboard, I might as well take the solar reading from there too.
If the inverter arrives tomorrow, the system should be running by day's end. Spreadsheet is primed and ready to roll!