Wednesday 14 April 2010

Two steps forward, one back

We're having a fabulously sunny mid-April and it frustrates me a little thinking about all those photons landing on my roof, their energy only to be absorbed and dissipated by the tiles. I am having to wait; wait for the Energy Saving Trust to decide whether they are going to give me a loan, and wait for the date to arrive when Installation Company will come and install my solar panels. I think that will be about two to three weeks away.

The problem is that if I want to take advantage of the loan, the installation work cannot begin until the loan has been agreed. EST are supposed to have made a decision within 15 working days and that has time has long passed, so I decided I ought to chase them up. It did not work out well. I started with their freefone number and a lady gave me another number in Edinburgh to phone. Every time I phone that, I get an automated message telling me that they are not available. I'll console myself with the idea that if the installation date arrives and they still haven't agreed the loan, I'll go ahead on my own finances.

Meanwhile I took a couple of steps forward. First, I changed my energy supplier from Scottish Power to EDF Energy. Depending on whether you believe EDF's figures or mine, I'll save between 26% and 30% on my gas and electricity bill in the long term. Interestingly, my estimate is the more optimistic of the two. The tariff I'm on only lasts until June 2011, but even then, their standard tariff is cheaper than what I'm paying Scottish Power.

Of course, this really has little to do with solar power and anyone can change to a cheaper supplier. However, EDF Energy are a registered supplier for the payment of Feed-in Tariffs. This means that when the solar panels are installed, EDF will look after the payments due to me for units generated. Here's how it is supposed to work. Installation Company, who are MCS registered (and they must be for the FiTs scheme) will register my installation on a national database. They will also give me a certificate. I'll apply to EDF for FiT payment. They'll cross-check me on the database and arrange how often payments will get sent to me.

My second little step was to send a letter to the local planning authority along with a simple plan, requesting a letter from them that confirms I don't need to apply for planning permission for this.

Right, I'll go and sit out in the sunshine and ponder my lost photons.

1 comment: