Thursday 25 March 2010

Discussing timescales

I spoke with Installation Company yesterday on the phone to find out how quickly they thought they could start if given the go-ahead. Six weeks was the answer. I decided that if it is going to take that long to get started, I might as well keep applying for the small (£4,000) government loan that is still available. It would save some money, though hardly a substantial amount, and so I've written to the EST to keep the application process going.

Meanwhile, boss of Installation Company has suggested that I lodge a small deposit to get myself into the queue while I wait for the bureaucratic wheels to turn. We discussed his own generation figures which, at 7.1 units per day in the late winter/early spring, appear to be heading to be better than figures from the government which average 8 units per day. I mentioned that according to my spreadsheet, any improvement on government figures was highly significant to the project's finances. I could almost hear hear the boss's ears prick up. "Could I have a copy of that spreadsheet, please?"

My problem in life is that I'm a geek. I recently read that a characteristic of many geeks is that they often fail to realise the monetary value of what they do, Bill Gates being an obvious exception to the rule. Therefore I've sent Installation Company boss a copy of my 25-year projections with no more than a weak plea that if he finds the sheet useful in his business, he shows that in some way beneficial to me. I may be an intrinsically happy, settled person, but I'll never be a businessman.

No comments:

Post a Comment